Community Transition

The Independent Living Center is able to assist individuals with physical disabilities who reside in institutional settings to regain their independence within the community.  Various levels of assistance are available based on need and individual resources.

  • Case management to develop a transition plan
  • Attendant services to assist with activities of daily living
  • Financial assistance to pay deposits and assist with necessary household items
  • Adaptive equipment loan services
  • General assistance in finding affordable and accessible housing
  • Peer support and advocacy
  • Information and referral
  • Approved nurse visits
  • Independent Living Skills training and guidance

What is considered an Institutional Setting?

  • Nursing Home
  • Rehabilitation Facility
  • Transitional or Supported Housing (minimal assistance available for step-down transition options)

Requirements for Assistance

  • Active Missouri Medicaid
  • Transition to a home that will either be leased or owned by the participant or the participant's family or move to a housing unit with no more than four individuals living in the home
  • Have lived in a state habilitation center or nursing facility for at least 90 days
  • Ability to live independently with community-based supports

Information for Institutions
If you would like to refer a resident for transition or if you would like someone to talk with you and your staff more about the process, please contact Phyllis Collier-Craig at [email protected] or call 417-659-8086 or 833-346-8951.